Tuesday 18 May 2010

Mattalogue: The Trio of (impending) Fail

So over the past few weeks and blog posts I’ve grown more and more confident with letting people see my ‘stuff’. After all, it’s not used to seeing the light of day or the eyes of people I’ve not paid off to compliment it. At first I thought they’d laugh and judge me, maybe even call me names behind my back.

But innuendos aside, I’m not entirely sure why I’m feeling more confident, if anything the quality of my writing has gone down during these past few months. Perhaps it’s the anonymity of being able to fling my ‘work’ up here and then duck and cover. Maybe it’s the fact that only a handful of people actually read what I put up. Who knows?

Tonight is my last night in Leigh for the foreseeable future. Which is probably why I’m feeling generous and willing to divulge some ‘character info’ from my ‘project’. The previous sentence is perhaps further proof how un-confident I actually am, whenever referring to my ‘work’ I always find myself using ‘’. See? There I went again! Perhaps it’s an attempt to distance myself from what I’m writing just in case people suspect I’m crazy/shit.

But what is this thing your working on? I hear one person ask.

Well, in as broad a sense as possible, it is about the end of our world as we know it (and I feel fine…sorry) from 3 very different perspectives. That of a normal person in highly unordinary circumstances, a sociopathic nihilistic clone and a human hating Dinosaur who’s only in it for revenge.

Wow…I managed to sum up something I’ve been working on for almost a decade in just one paragraph. I’m more surprised than that time I found myself doing a stupid cutaway gag ala anything ever done by Seth MacFarlane.

But onwards! So that’s a brief summary of the lead characters Nathan (everyman/boy) Dephchare (clone/subject of Vicarious Student post awhile back) and Stryka (racist Dinosaur). Of course, there are a few more characters than that. For example, there is the policeman Samuel Carmilie who fills the spot of the only sane man, until of course, he actually goes insane. There’s also the shallow designated love interest who makes Edward Cullen seem like a well rounded likeable character. But don’t worry, it’s intentional.

I’m going to have to admit here and now, I’m quite proud of Dephchare and Stryka. They are two of my most prized creations. Dephchare represents that dark side of humanity, the ruthless ‘kill or be killed’ spirit held within every real life psychopath or businessman, taken to its extreme and drenched in grotesque charm. Stryka on the other hand is much harder for me to explain in just one blog post. Not that I’m giving the characters or myself more credit than they’re due, but it’s quite hard to explain the history of a 700 year old non-human in just a few sentences.

Oh and there is also an unspeakable abomination inspired by experimentation with sleep deprivation, strong cheese and my own mental instability, which takes the form of The Harbinger.

And all this is just in the first instalment! You lucky, lucky folks! So basically this entire post has been an attention whoring attempt to garner your interest when I eventually decide to make some headway on the first of my End of the Road project. Tentatively entitled Land of the Poisoned Skies.

Till next time! Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment